Thursday, January 20, 2011

Hello, I'm pleased to meet you


If you are new to couponing, Welcome! If you’ve been doing it for years, Welcome! If you are just looking to save a little money then Welcome to you to!
I’m starting this blog because I recently graduated college and am on a quest to pay off my student loans as quickly as possible. The job market is tough and I hold multiple jobs to try to make ends meet while I search for my “dream job.” I haven’t been couponing long, but the story of how I started is like so many others.
I started couponing right after I graduated because I needed some lotion. That’s right, lotion.
I saw a coupon in the Sunday paper for some Vaseline lotion that I knew was on sale at Target. I was excited, I needed lotion and I had very little money to spend, and then, the worst happened….I lost the coupon. I couldn’t believe it. It had been for a dollar off which to a lot of people may not seem like a lot, but for people who have been couponing is immense(and for those of you just starting, it’s only a matter of time before you feel this way too).
So, I went online, hoping to find an internet coupon. I typed in Vaseline coupon and…life would never be the same. Ok, that’s a bit dramatic, but what I found was a wealth of blogs that told me not only was there a manufacturer’s Vaseline coupon, but there was also a Target coupon out there. I learned that if I combined the two, I could get the lotion for free, and that there were many other free things that I could get from Target that week.
I was skeptical. I had been taught to be frugal as a child, but I had been also taught that northing in life was free, but, needing lotion, I set out for Target.
I gathered my items and went to the checkout. I dreaded the total as I did not have enough money for everything if the coupons didn’t work, and then…magic happened. My coupons rang through and my total came to…9 cents. Cents! I got 4 full-sized bath products for less than the cost of a gumball!
I was hooked.
Now I coupon and save the difference toward my loan. It’s a great feeling of empowerment and security to know that I can survive off of less than I thought was possible.
I hope to use this blog to spread that to others and hope to help everyone get organized and get at the best deals around Madison, Wisconsin and beyond.
I know the site is new and is in the process of being built, but please stick with me and you won’t be disappointed. I will have the weekly shopping lists as well as shopping tricks, bookstore updates, thrift store and rummage shopping finds, and, hopefully, great stories and shopping triumphs from you.
So…what’s your story? How did you get started at this? I want to know who you are and why you are here.

Beth

1 comment:

  1. I also am a recent college graduate (2009), AND a new mom, and have not only found myself drowning in student loans, but in diapers and formula too. I've always looked for bargains & ways to save money because I was raised by a single mom on a budget & even to this day my mother very rarely pays full price for anything. I've been using coupons for probably the last 4 or 5 years, but only in the last few months or so did I start to crack down & look for ways to get the absolute most value for my coupons. I shop at pick n save on double days & am addicted to Target. I love how much I save in my trips but I'm of course always looking for ways to save even more. I just came across your blog and saw your tip about buying a gift card for the remainder of the purchase to reach the $25 mark...GENIUS! I'm so excited to see how much I'll end up spending since I usually get small crap that I end up forcing myself to find a use for just to get to the $25! Thanks for all the great tips! I hope you keep the great deals & tips coming!

    ReplyDelete